Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Currant Cream Scones

Day 29 Recipe 20
I have to admit, that I wasn't even to sure what a currant was. I even googled it!! It is an English berry similar to a raisin....I guess. I couldn't find them. I didn't really look very hard, and they don't carry them at Fry's! So as a substitute I used dried sweetened cranberries and they worked just fine. Overall the scones turned out very good. They were very moist and delicious. I am not too sure about the cinnamon sugar on the top, but I would definitely make these again!! The other complaint I have is that the recipe only makes 6... maybe I will double it next time!! ;)
From Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Baking

Ingredients:

For the dough
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
½ cup dried currants (Or dried cranberries)
¾ cup heavy cream

For the topping
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons whole milk or heavy cream

Directions:

1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven, and preheat to 425 degrees. Line a half-sheet pan with parchment paper (I used a silicone liner).

2. In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture forms large coarse crumbs the size of small peas. Stir in the currants. Pour the cream over the dry ingredients and mix with a fork just until the dry ingredients are moistened.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and press together gently until the dough clings together in a ball. Pat out into a round about ½ inch thick and 6 ½ inches in diameter. Cut the round into 6 wedges, or use a 3 inch biscuit cutter to cut out rounds. Place the wedges 1 inch apart on the prepare pan.

4. To make the topping, in a small bowl stir together the sugar and the cinnamon. Brush the wedges with the milk and sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar.

5. Bake until golden brown, 13-17 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.

1 comment:

  1. I love me some scones!! Great blog, cuz. You are a talented baker!

    ReplyDelete